As of October 1, 2017......Community Health Centers have 90 days of funding left!
EMAIL – Click Here
Post on Social Media (FB/Twitter) – Click Here
Phone Call - Dial 1-866-456-3949
- Listen to the message prompt and enter your zip code (either home or work) to be connected to your Members of Congress.
- The system will give you options for which Member of Congress to connect with – you may press option 1, 2 or 3, each corresponding to a different Member.
- Make sure to call the Advocacy Hotline 3 times in order to select and connect with each Member of Congress.
- SCRIPT TEMPLATE: Hi, my name is _________, I’m calling as a (patient/board member/staff member, supporter) of (Health Center Name) in (town). As a constituent of your district, I am asking for your commitment to act to fix the health center funding cliff before the end of the year. 27 million patients rely on community health centers - NO MORE DELAYS! Thank you.
Community Health Center Funding Cliff
Because Congress did not extend the Community Health Centers Fund (CHCF) by October 1st, every Community Health Center faces drastic reductions in their federal funding at the beginning of their next budget period.
With no fix, health centers face a 70% cut to this grant funding.
Because the direct cuts to federal grants do not take place immediately, some policymakers are under the inaccurate impression that the cliff will not impact health centers until January.
In fact, the funding cliff is already creating disruption, and funding uncertainty is forcing cutbacks and operational instability now. For example, even before October 1st, 26% of health centers report that the potential for the funding cliff had already made it harder to recruit and retain staff.*
Collectively, Health Center Partners (HCP) 17 members serve nearly 900,000 Southern California residents in San Diego, Riverside and Imperial counties). This funding cut equates to a collective loss of $44 million dollars – resources that are being used to provide comprehensive care to residents in these counties.
Our ask to Congress is simple: Right now, the best way to demonstrate strong bi-partisan support for a Health Center Cliff Fix is with a solid and extensive list of co-sponsors on the Senate and House CHIME Act – S. 1899 in the Senate and H.R. 3770 in the House – both bills mapping out a five year cliff fix.
- Talking Points (CPCA, October)
- Funding Cliff Infographic (NACHC, October)
- “Community Health Investment, Modernization and Excellence Act of 2017.” CHMIE ACT
- Letter to Members of Congress from HCP Membership
- HCP Press Release (September 19, 2017)
- TALKING POINTS (CPCA)
- EXPLAINER ON CLIFF (NACHC)
- EXPLAINER Mandatory vs. Discretionary Funding (NACHC)